description

"A little girl from Singapore, A big boy from Sweden, together they meet, and together they fall in love with each other "

Tracy Chapman - Change

Saturday, January 07, 2006

My 台湾 muah chee and 台湾 jelly

Chinese New Year is just 3 weeks away. You can hear shops blasting "tong tong tong qiang, tong tong tong qiang", supermarkets stocked with a wide varieties of Chinese New Year goodies. Everywhere you go, you just see "Red Red Red"


I stumbled upon this neighbouring makeshift store selling 台湾 muah chee (soft chewy sweets made from flour with stuffing like green tea, chocolate, sesame etc inside) and 台湾 jelly. I had eaten it a few times before, usually offered by my friend, Darren (he's a sucker...ermmm i mean lover for 台湾 muah chee) The bright colours and huge varieties of muah chee stopped me in my track.
WOW! I need to get some of these!!

The muah chees and jellies are going for $1.80 per 100g and you get like 100g free for every KG purchased.

Well, if you think about it, $1.80 for every 100g doesnt sound excessive...its like "how many grams can a lil muah chee be right?

So moi happily started selecting the colourful muah chees and stuffing it into my clear plastic bag. If you look at the picture closely, you'll notice that the plastic wrapped packaging are muah chees while the paper wrapped rectangle packaging are actually Jellies! (i didnt know it was jelly till i opened one later)

As i wanted to just take a few to try, i took like one of each from the baskets.
When i passed it to the 老板 (Boss) to weight, he was like "Aiyah, not enough lah...come, I shall help you choose the nice ones" Before i know it, he was stuffing my plastic bag with more muah chees and jellies. My small little bag becomes a big bag!
He put its on the weighting machine and told me it's S$!18
I was Flabbergasted!! 杀人放火
(small lil bag of muah chee)

"What!! 老板, I'm just buying a couple of muah chee to sample!!"

Thank god i only took out my coin pouch so there's like just a few dollar notes and coins. I told him i don't have enough $$ to pay for it and showed him that i got just $10 in my coin pouch. He relented and finally gave me, in his own words, "a special price for a special lady" 700g for $10 (which i think its still abit too excessive)


In fact, the jelly itself weights like 50g per piece. So if i had choose all jellies, im paying 14 jellies for $10.

Since then, I have walk passed the store on a few occasions and it never fail to be covered with people choosing and buying their muah chees. Those suckers! Maybe it just me who thinks its a tad too expensive. I gotto admit that its really tasty though...but still.......Darn~

hopefully, the prices will go down after Chinese New Year!!

Or Darren...buy more muah chees for me to sample leh!!
heeheehee

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

haha!!used to buy alot of those muah chee oso!!this time round,neber buy liao...true lah,very nice but ex lor..