description

"A little girl from Singapore, A big boy from Sweden, together they meet, and together they fall in love with each other "

Tracy Chapman - Change

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

is it worth the risk?


I must say my work is a dangerous one..

Especially when its associated with terms like 9/11, terrorism, hijack, bomb, plane crashes, turbulences, decompression and so forth

On my last flight, we encountered really bad turbulences. Its the kind where adults were screaming and every babies/children started crying simultaneously !
Chaotic~
It doesn't help when i saw this lady praying in the cabin.

I was in the cabin when the plane experienced a sudden drop in latitude. And i literally flew up in the cabin. Not once but twice! Common sense immediately told me to grab a empty seat and strapped myself in. The lady sitting next to me was gripping the arm rest so tightly I thought she would have left permanent nail marks!

My colleagues had it even better, she was happily drinking her coke light in the galley when all of a sudden, she was lifted up into the air (as well as her coke)..next thing she know, she was drenched in coke light! Obviously, she was not amused!

Just as it came out of nowhere, it was over in less than 30seconds. Before i know it, the plane is cruising smoothly back to Singapore.

penny of my thoughts:
The chance of dying in a plane crash is 1:1,000,000
that might seem low. But the chance of u surviving the plane crash is practically ZERO!
at least (im not saying 100%) you might walked out of a car accident with a few bruises, none worse the wear.

What if someone decides to hijack the plane with intention of banging into some tall building again?

When you are 30,000 feet above sea level, there's basically nothing you can do except pray for a miracle.
And what about my loved ones? the pain is never gonna go away if something happen to me. Why am i risking it!!
Its not that the money is good mah. (obivously better than working in my previous accounts job drawing a measly $1900) But is it worth the risk of losing my life?
I remembered once, when i was sitting with my senior for landing. The tech crew must be pretty new in the job because the landing was REALLY REALLY bad. It felt like the plane just dropped onto the runway. I made this comment about what a bad landing it was.
My senior replied "there's no such thing as a bad landing. Every landing is a good landing. At least the plane landed" I thought it was such wise words.
one colleagues of mine mentioned that its not good to fly for too long.
Problems like harder to get pregnant, dryness of skin, exposure to the cosmic radiation and blah blah blah
Maybe thats why i heed my senior colleague suggestion to wear a girdle.
I wanna have babies, man!
But i bucked at the idea of comsuming Eu Yan Sen's bird nest every night! Hey, u know how expensive that's gonna cost??!!! Im not Fann Wong earning tens of thousands of dollars doing endorsements or advertisments!!
I guess every job have its risk (like every dog has its day)
Just have to keep yourself safe and pray that every flight is a good flight!
Just remembered, don't try and be a hero, looking for some karate legend in the freezing mountains of Aomori with the this dumb idea that "Japan look so small on the world map that we thought we would be able to find him straight" Duh~
That will be putting your life and your intelligence at risk!(pun intended)

No comments: